Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sometimes...

I have a confession to make.

Sometimes, I really don't want to sit down and write this blog.

Sometimes, there are better or more important things than sitting at the keyboard and pounding out lines of deathless prose.

Sometimes, those things disappear if not done at the moment.

This weekend was one of those times.  The weather was gorgeous, the grass was knee-high, and the lawn demanded attention.  Further, after a week of travel followed by work, the soul demanded renewal.

Long story short, I blew off writing in favor of being out doors in the sun. I blew off writing for the thrill of guiding my anemic lawn mower across uneven tufts of grass and broad-leaf weeds, making them all even.  And I blew off writing in favor of digging in the dirt.

This weekend, I spent some quality time living in the moment, surveying my small lot, picking up sticks and, yes, watching the grass grow.  In my head, I drew plans for flower and vegetable beds to come.  I made a list of materials I will need to make the vision into reality.  And in those simple acts, I was renewed.

It began to rain shortly after the work was completed. It has been raining ever since.

For me, gardening is an act of renewal.

For you, there may be other activities, other sources for gaining or regaining perspective. Some people golf, or watch baseball, but for me, it has long been gardening.

What do you do to gain perspective?

What do you do to feed your soul?




1 comment:

  1. What do you do to gain perspective? Ride my Harley

    What do you do to feed your soul? Ride my Harley with a good looking Babe.

    ReplyDelete