Monday, January 8, 2018

The Final Flash

Of all the money that e'er I spent
I spent it in good company

And all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas, it was to none but me 
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all.
Oh all the comrades that e'er I've had

Are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I've had
Would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Good night and joy be with you all
Good night and joy be with you all.

       "The Parting Glass" 

I am not here.

If you seek, you will not find me.
If you call, I will not answer.

I have turned a corner, moved on, passed away. I have gone to be with Jesus, crossed the rainbow bridge, passed into the light. Call it what you will. I am not here.

Many years ago, my Heavenly Father put me on this earth. He caused me to grow and thrive. He blessed me with parents and wife, family and friends and sent me into His field to do His work. 

Recently, he came to His field and took me home. "Come with me," He said. "Some people have come to see you." 

I probably said "But I need to finish..."

"Lay down your tools," He said. "Someone else will finish," He said." It's time to come home."

My Father called. I couldn't say "No." I laid down my tools and went. He took me home. 

Grieve not that I am no longer here. Rather, rejoice that I once was. Rejoice that for good or ill, you knew me. Rejoice that we walked, talked, worked, laughed, cried, argued, fought, loved, sang, danced, and enjoyed life together. It was grand.

Rejoice that I was privileged to know you. 

Rejoice that, as much as it was in me, I used every good gift God gave me to its fullest.
I am not here. My Father called me. I went with Him. 
I am not here. I have gone home.

I have fought the good fight. 

I have finished the race. 
I have kept the faith. 
Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day."
-- 2 Timothy 4:7-8a

1 comment:

  1. Mr S, I miss your thoughts on things. Say a prayer for us down here, it's getting surreal.

    ReplyDelete