Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Choice -- My Way


This morning I proudly exercised my one office under the Constitutions of the United States and the Commonwealth of Virginia by voting to select a candidate to represent me in the Virginia House of Delegates.  The general election is not until November, but I like to exercise my rights as often and as early as possible.

Don't expect me to tell you who I voted for. It is, after all, a secret ballot.  Neither will I specifically identify who I voted against.  A secret is a secret, and who I voted for or against is not the subject of this post.  This post is about how I arrived at my decision.

Since this was a party primary, the two candidates are very similar in their views and stands on "the issues".  With the exception of their chosen professions and work experience, there's probably not a dime's worth of difference between them.  So, to differentiate themselves from their opponent, each has seemingly delighted in digging up the dirt and publishing accusations which again were strikingly similar. So I know going in that whoever gets my vote will be someone else's idea of a crook, and I'm stuck determining which of two alleged crooks I want representing me in Richmond.

And then, I determined the ultimate differentiator. 

When they passed the act implementing a National Do Not Call List, Congress conveniently exempted political organizations from having to observe its provisions.  As a result, every election season, I find myself spammed with calls and robo-calls from candidates and their political organizations.  The calls with a person on the other end are easy to take care of.  I politely inform the caller that I don't wish to be bothered at dinner time or in the evening and that any further calls will result in me supporting their opponent.  So far, it's worked every time.

Robo-calls are a bit different.  Since there is no person to which I can respond, I protest with the only weapon available to me.  I vote for the candidate who has done the least to disturb the peace of my existence with calls and robo-calls.  And this time, as in every election, there was one clear winner. 

I mean, given similar positions and experience and putting aside the fact that each considers the other to be a crook, what's left?

No comments:

Post a Comment