Friday, June 17, 2016

A Father's Prayer

As Fathers' Day approaches I can't help but realize I have some genuinely neat kids. Even better, all four have grown up to be some genuinely neat adults. I look at them and wonder "How did I do that?"

The answer is I had help. I had lots of help. In addition to my wife, extended family, and the countless coaches, teachers and others who worked with my kids along the way to adulthood, I asked God for help; I prayed for my kids every day.

Still do.

In 1995, I wrote my prayer out. This year, for Father's Day, I offer it to my sons, my son-in-law and also to you. You don't need to be a dad to pray it. Moms, Grand moms, and Grand dads can pray it equally as well.

If it works you should use it.

Prayer for My Children

Eternal Father, whose will is always directed to His childrens' good,
Thank You for the family with which you have blessed me.
Like You, I want what is best for my children.

Grant me, I pray, the wisdom to know what is best and how to provide it.
Teach me to know and respond to my childrens' needs rather than pandering to their wants.
Help me to communicate with them rather than lecturing at them,
And grant me the power to instill in them the desire to achieve everything of which they are capable.

Above all else, Father, empower both me and my children with the strength to know and to do your will.

Be my partner in raising my children, that they might be your children also.

I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord,

        Amen.

Do you pray for your kids?

How do you ask God to help you?




No comments:

Post a Comment